At least once a week I will turn to a one-pot wonder dish to calm the storm of the evening mealtime stress. With all the extracurricular activities that are back in the weekly routine now after lockdown, being able to grab a pot or a wok, fling in a few simple ingredients and create a wholesome dinner in minutes is a no-fuss, no-brainer.
Having at least one of these recipes up your sleeve is like knowing the secrets of the magic circle. As a busy parent myself, throwing simple ingredients into a pot, casting my spell, and standing back to let the magic happen, is a real mid-week triumph.
Letting one pot do all the work for you – simmering away on the stove as the warmth and smells ignite the senses calming all stresses of the day – that’s my kind of magic.
One Pot Chicken & Vegetable Casserole
- 1 Large heavy-based saucepan with a lid
- 1 glug rapeseed oil
- 1 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 pint chicken stock
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 200 g baby potatoes
- 1 tsp wholegrain or Dijon mustard
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Crush the garlic, dice your chicken breasts and peel and chop the veg.
- Put a saucepan over medium heat and soften your onion and garlic by cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add your carrot and celery and potato, giving them a good mix, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Toss in the diced chicken breast sealing them for about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle over a good heaped tablespoon of flour and mix in well until it has soaked up all the lovely juices in the pan.
- Chop your fresh herbs and add them to the mix.
- Slowly pour in the chicken stock (quarter by quarter), mixing well.
- Chuck in your bay leaves and add the mustard.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes.