I have no kitchen, just an empty shell at the min.. all going according to plan on Wednesday night, I will have a brand spanking new one!!! (so no cooking here for me until then)
I was in Fermanagh a few weekends ago, in my mam,s. We had a pretty busy weekend so I wanted to cook something quick and handy for us all, This “no fuss lasagne” really fitted the bill… The creamy jars of sauces have had so much bad press lately.. with warnings going on the labels soon, (they don’t taste great anyway). A good alternative is creme Fraiche if you fancy something handy just to pour on top and don’t have the time to make up a white sauce from scratch .. (I use this in loads of recipes and you can get the fat free option for slimming world)
This recipe serves 6 (my photos don’t do it justice .. because I had a gang of hungry hippos at the table and only got a chance to snap quickly.. but plates were cleaned and everyone really enjoyed every morsel) so here’s the recipe guys…. (I know you,ll all wait until next time I’m home to have it again tho 😉 ) as me mam say,s its nicer when its handed to you x
tip.. When cooking dried lasagne sheets.. make sure you put loads of the sauce and mince over the top of them to cook and leave a good space between each sheet and also between the edge of the dish and the sheet of pasta, that way they don’t get hard at the edges and dry up..
- 500 g pack of extra lean mince beef
- 1 carrot (grated) or chopped really well
- 1 onion (grated) (or chopped really well)
- 2 celery stalks chopped really small
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 pack of lasagne dried sheets
- 1 red pepper
- handful of chopped mushrooms
- carton of passata (500g)
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon of Basil (dried)
- 1 tablespoon of oregano (dried)
- 1 teaspoon of thyme (dried)
- 200g creme Fraiche ( for slimming world one level tablespoon of low-fat creme Fraiche is 1/2 syn using 10 tablespoons works out at less than 1/2 syn per serving.. )
- 180 grated cheddar (one slice of lasagne is a hex a on slimming world)
Method Pre heat oven at 180C gas mark 4.
On a large pan brown the mince (no oil needed) when mince is browned .. drain off the fat with a sieve
Grate carrot, onion, garlic , and chop mushroom and red pepper into, add to the pan and cook for 10 mins, and sieve off any excess liquid
Add passata , tomato puree, herbs and mix…
Now to layer up.
First put a spoon of the meat mixture on the bottom, then the sheets of pasta (making sure the pasta isn’t touching or touching the edge)
completely cover the pasta with the meat mixture. On top of this add more pasta. Cover the pasta again with the meat mixture.. do this until all the meat is finished.
Finish off by spooning your Creme Fraiche on top and by sprinkling your grated cheese
loosely cover with tin foil.. (this way the cheese doesn’t burn)
put in the oven for 35 minutes and after the 35 mins finish off under the grill until your cheese is all bubbling and melted …
and that’s it x enjoy